Prayer Topic: Salvation Prayer
Seeing people surrender their lives to Christ is one of the greatest joys of serving at Life.Church Online—in fact, it’s why we do what we do! As you serve, you may encounter people who are ready to make this life-changing decision. Check out the guide below for a few tips on leading someone through a salvation prayer.
Use Scripture to explain our foundational beliefs on salvation:
- All of us have sinned and fallen short of God’s standards. (Romans 3:23)
- The just punishment for our sin is eternal separation from God in hell. (Romans 6:23)
- There’s no way we can ever earn our way into heaven. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- Jesus, the Son of God, lived a sinless human life among us. (Hebrews 4:14-15)
- He died on the cross then rose again, defeating sin forever. (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)
- Because of Jesus’ perfect sacrifice, we can be reconciled with God and spend eternity with Him in heaven. (John 14:6, Galatians 3:26, John 3:16)
- Salvation is God’s free gift to us, but we must accept it. (Romans 10:9-10)
Emphasize that there is no magical prayer you must pray—it’s more about the condition of your heart. Some important components can be remembered with ABC:
Admit that you are a sinner in need of a Savior,
Believe that Jesus died for you and rose again, and
Commit to live the rest of your life for Him.
Here’s one example:
Heavenly Father, forgive me of all my sins. Make me brand new. I believe Jesus died for me and rose again so I could live for you. Fill me with your Spirit so I could know you, serve you, and follow you the rest of my life. My life is not my own—today I give it to you. Thank you for new life! In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.
Once someone has made the decision to surrender their life to Jesus, celebrate with them and let them know how excited our community is for them! Then, be sure to encourage them to let us know so we can get in touch and provide them with some next steps in their new faith.